The Programme d’échanges linguistiques intra-Québec – approche nouvelle (PÉLIQ-AN) of the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement Supérieur (MEES) supports language exchange projects between groups of students from Québec’s English and French schools. It applies to elementary and secondary schools in the private and public sectors. Exchange projects may take a wide variety of forms, according to the teachers’ preferences.
• To facilitate the twinning of groups of students from the anglophone and francophone sectors
• To encourage direct and distant contact between groups of participating students
• To develop the language and cross-curricular competencies set out in the Québec Education Program
• To develop the broad area of learning Citizenship and Community Life, as set out in the Québec Education Program.
• To enable each group of participating students to familiarize themselves with the culture of the other language group
• To foster communication and develop links between Québec’s anglophone and francophone communities
• To enable participating students to interact in their second language, their language of instruction or both, and to do so in daily life contexts related to what they learn in school